Sunday, January 31, 2010

First Year and Inflation

You'll want to get to the lessons as soon as you can. You can repeat any lesson, as many times as you want (to find a magic, for gold, to burn exp points, etc...) as long as you have enough energy.

If you're really just starting to play this game there's something you must know.

You need tons of gold in order to play this game decently. And on top of that, the game has inflation. Meaning that every time you buy an item, the price of the same subsequent items will go up 5%. For example, first year, second lesson, Buy School Supplies From Diagon Alley - Wand, Books, Robe, requires a robe before you are allowed to do the lesson. The first robe costs you 200 gold.



But since I know that the first year will require 4 robes in the total I went ahead and purchase 4 robes at once, only spending 800 gold. If you were to buy one by one you would end up spending 860 gold. After I bought 4 robes, they now each cost 240 gold each. That's a 20% increase.



You may think, 40 gold is not a big deal... well, it will be a big deal when you're trying to buy a Tornado Broom for 7,000,000 and you need 10 of them with the highest paying job paying no more than 223,500 and even when you have all the properties allowed you cannot generate more than 688,500 in rent every 40 minutes. But I digress... :P

On a good note, the price will never be more than 2x the original price. The bad note is that it applies to all items in the game, including properties (though you can't buy enough properties to double its price).

So try to save up and buy all the supplies you need for the whole year in bulk. "But how I am going to do that if I can't see the whole year at the beginning of the year" you might ask. That's why I'm posting this list ;)

In the First Year you'll need a total of:
Items
4 Robe
6 11" Holly Wand
1 Sorting Hat
2 School Textbook.
3 Standard Flying Broom

Magic
1 Expelliarmus

You'll need Expelliarmus in the final lesson, but don't go to the Magic Store to buy it because they cost hall passes instead of gold. You can get them "free" because you'll always see the lesson that gives you the magic you need before you have to do a lesson that require such magic.

Of course you won't always be able or willing to save all the money to buy all your supplies at once, but at least this way you'll be somewhat prepared for what's to come.

If you complete all three mastery levels in this year you'll also get these cool special prizes:


25 comments:

  1. I completed first year, but can't get to level 9. Help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep doing the lessons and you'll eventually get enough experience to level up. Have you tried to work on Year Two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the list of supplies!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not trying to sound like a douche, but one of your lessons is boarding platform 9 1/2, but the actual platform is 9 3/4. not that it changes anything, but you might want to fix that

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not the developer nor I am in any way affiliated to him. But I do suspect that the mistake labeling the platform is intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep compleating lesson (the sorting hat) then I'll change the page or do the lesson again and it knocks me back. I've redone it 3 times now, very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recently the game is having several glitches. The developer is trying to fix it. If the bug doesn't go away, contact him directly. On the game page, scroll all the way down to the bottom and you'll find a link to contact him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just went to by the 15 wands I need for the next level of play and was pretty upset tor find out that I CANNOT buy 15! I have to buy 10 or 20 or 10 and then pay the inflated price for the additional 5. THAT SUCKS!!! and I don't think it's fair either!

    thanks for letting me vent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually you can. But you need to do a little trick in order to do it.

    If you had exact amount of gold on you for 15 wands, you could have selected 20, 30, 100 from the drop down menu (it wouldn't have mattered as long as qty is greater than what you are looking to buy) and the system would've automatically let you buy up to the amount of gold you had available on you, which I believe it was for 15 wands, correct?

    Just make sure you go to the magic shop with the exact amount of gold for the quantity of items you wish to purchase and select a higher amount and click "Buy".

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! thanks for sharing it!



    (should probably check my spelling, as I really went to BUY the wands. sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you post how much gold we need for each year to buy all the items? It would be very helpful for budgeting. Thank you very much for all the help and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't posted prices because once you buy just one item, the subsequent prices automatically increase by those pesky little 5% per item purchased rendering any list I make obsolete.

    Plus there are items that are needed in more than one tier - e.g. you need 2 bott's every flavor bean for 6th year, and 15 of them on the Wizard level. They are really expensive so, it's your decision alone to buy 2 or 15.

    I realized that if for some reason or another, my numbers don't match someone's else, I would receive confrontational emails saying that I posted the wrong prices. It's useless to tell them to go back and read carefully what I was trying to say.

    Having said that, maybe in the future when I don't have so much schoolwork, I'll try to come up with something.

    Meanwhile if you have any particular year you're curious about, I can tell you how much you will need.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you post the list for the second, third, etc years please?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wait, just saw the other posts for the other years. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. when the buying price goes up for a property does the selling price go up as well.i mean if i buy a property for 20000 n the price goes up can i immediately sell if for 21000

    ReplyDelete
  16. so for some reason I didn't come to this page before I started playing, which kind of messed me up... I've completed the first 3 lessons and am trying to do the sorting hat one, but I don't have enough money to buy a sorting hat. Is buying more money from the headmaster the only way? I don't have enough hall passes for that anyway.... I don't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Yudish - No. And this works for items and creatures too. When you buy 1 item, the next item will cost 5% more. If you sell any item, the game will only pay you 50% of the original price (pre-inflation price). So if you bought the first property for 20,000 and a second property for 21,000. When you sell them, you will only get 50% of the original price = 10,000 for each. Doesn't matter if you paid 25,000 on it, you will only get 10,000.

    @ Simone' - You can repeat any lessons as many times you need to. Go back to earlier lessons which you can do, keep doing until you have enough money to buy a sorting hat. For more information you can read the "Lessons" post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. im wondering about the lessons that requires 6 health while you only have 5 health what do you do about that??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please read the FAQ Post - Question #6.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Samuel - Please read this post: http://schoolofwizardry.blogspot.com/2009/10/gifts.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. What happens to you if your health reaches zero? You die, or something bad happens? Or it's just another thing keeping you away from duelling?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am on level 30 and haven't been able to recieve the golden robe. What can I do about it?

    ReplyDelete
  23. i have read how to master the levels but i have done the same lesson for 3 days now and i still have not mastered to the second level so i can get my spells i need. what am i doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  24. It seems that you can´t buy things in bulk anymore.
    I tried buying real estate 10 at a time, and I took the exact amount out of the bank, but could only buy 7 of em.
    Seems they calculate the inflation into the prices if you buy them many at a time...?

    ReplyDelete