Friday, December 21, 2012

Quick Start Guide

So you just started the game, don't have time to read and want to get it over with? This is what this quick guide is for.

First thing you'll want to do is click on Lessons and look for the first one: Accept Invitation....



Click on Do Lesson 5 times, that's how many experience points you need to level up, get all your stats refilled and 5 skill points.

Once you master the first Lesson, click on Diagon Alley and buy yourself 4 robes. If you buy them all at once it will cost you only 800 gold. Then see how much money you have left. If you have 4,000 gold, buy a sorting hat. If you have 9,000 buy 6 11" Holly Wands. If you don't have enough gold, just go to the next step.

Click on Visit Bank (your best friend) and put all your gold away lest someone attacks you and steal it.



Click on Profile and put all your skill points into energy, unless you know how dueling work (read the duels post), I recommend you to stick with lessons. Only when you're more familiar with dueling you should start increasing your stamina bit by bit. But whenever you don't know where to put your skill points, just increase your energy.  

You will never have too much energy. Never. Trust me.
(and if you are an experienced player, you must be amused)






(At the beginning you level up so fast that you can even forget that you have skill points available to upgrade your character as you can see on the picture above)


Go back to lessons and you'll see the yellow border gone from lessons you now have enough required items. Do lessons until you master all of them and repeat the process.

If you run out of energy and you haven't level up yet, bank all your gold again and go to the Duel page.
A super quick dueling tutorial - On the left side you'll see the opponent's stats, on the right side yours.

Look for someone with a smaller or same order size than you and ignore the rest for now.

You remember the items you bought at Diagon Alley, don't you? You should have at least 4 robes by now if you followed my instructions.

Click on you opponent's name and you'll see their profile. Check out their items. If they have less than 4 robes and nothing else, attack! Repeat the process until you level up.

When you level up, go back to lessons, use all you energy, make the purchases you can. Put your skill points into energy. Don't waste them with Attack and Defense.

Bank all your gold and go back to duel. Always make sure you have more order members/items/magic/creatures than your opponent. Don't put skill points in stamina until you learn how to win duels and you're comfortable doing it. Also, don't go crazy on the stamina because you only have so much health.

Remember to save gold so you can buy Real Estate. If you save 200,000 you can buy all 10 Candy Shops at once (because this game has inflation), and you'll have income even when you're not playing the game.

That's pretty much it. Have fun!

Update: For more information about lessons, click here.

17 comments:

  1. I have already started playing and wish I had read this first, I did some of the things you talked about, so am happy about that :) The other things I will do from now on and I am going to forget about stamina. I know the reasoning behind energy from playing Sorority Life...yes I know...it's not Mafia Wars...but it takes stragity like these games. Anyway..bottom line, thank you your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. But the developer is planning on making changes on the game, which will probably render my skill points advise useless at some point until I update them. I'm posting news about it on the first post of this blog, in case you want to know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had read this first also but will go back and what you have recommended. I have never played any games on FB. This is a first for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of Facebook games :) I hope you have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so i'm not sure what everyone else is talking about but compared to the other games on FB this is a lot harder to get into, you can't get anything with hall passes right away unless you buy some outright and everything is mondo expensive to start with. sorry but definately not a huge fan and wish i was, i love harry potter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I play City Life and I totally know what you mean about the energy! Lol thanks for all the help :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. just wanted to say, that even though i found this blog in the "second year" it has been extremely helpful! i started to take the advice right away and have found it much easier and more fun to play! thanks c.green!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been paying for several weeks now, and I wish I had known about this blog. I think I have been doing it right. I learned on mafia wars about the energy, but I got it from the discussion boards about banking, and to not grow my order too fast, unless they are equipped(?). Thanks Jared.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying but I need more time to feel like a Wizzard

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Anonymous. If I had read this first I would be in a better place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please announce that you better never refresh the account.... (not refreshing the page.. that is ok) but when it tells you to refresh your account, DON'T DO IT! you will lose everything. It is discussed in the discussion board but no where else... I lost $30 real money on this...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cant seem to get anymore gold and I need to buy a hat, how can I do this?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is is worth buying items in Magic Gateway?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid unshunning's from Lord Black Diamond.I loveth this game,I find it to very high art.I won the game in about 3 hrs.So all of thouwest thine thee out there prepare for lots of fun 'enjoy".Wizardry tis thee first magic that thouwest thine I lord Black Diamond unshuned,as Merlin Thee Grate Wight.My first shift ,my second shift was Fred Dark Thee Worlock.So keep up thee hard work and never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lost my billions when adding rent, all that shows up is the remainder of rent after I had purchased things from the Magic Store.. a measly sum. Have written to the developers as I've been playing for quite a while.

    Result = Not even an acknowledgement. I wrote once before when a previous glitch hit me rather badly.. same response, nothing.

    Atm I am unable to access the game at all. No message visible about a possible update, all other facebook applications are working fine.

    I think SOW developers have a devil may care attitude toward players. I wish I hadn't invited so many to the game as I feel duty bound to inform them that a major glitch for an individual will be totally ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I really struggle with getting spells. I need them to do the next lesson. Im in Level 14 and need Impeding Charm to go on. I have tried to do it over and over but nothing happens. Can i please get help. Im so stuck now

    ReplyDelete
  17. How can I delete my game?

    ReplyDelete