Friday, December 21, 2012

Real Estate



This is a crucial place in the game as it the place you go to buy properties and collect rent. The game is too expensive for you not invest you gold in properties. You trade a bunch of gold upfront in exchange for infinite hourly payments that you don't have to do a thing  to get it besides coming to collect it at least every three days. Don't forget it, otherwise your gold will start vanishing into thin air after 72 hours.




Collecting Rent

This place serves as a mini bank of sorts. You can let your gold accumulate there if you're looking to make a big purchase.



Once you have enough, cash it out, buy what you need to buy and put the rest back in the bank, This way you pay only 10% on the gold you're depositing at the bank. Most of the time, I withdrawal gold from the bank too to cover the purchases. So if your rent income never makes into the bank it's like your income was tax free :P


Stolen Rent


Don't forget to collect your rent every 3 days, or else this will happen:



How much do you loose if you don't collect your rent? It is actually how much you get to keep. You'll be able to collect rent only for the first 72 hours of income.

For Raven-Haired and Bookworm it translates to 72 * Income since they generate income every 60 minutes.

For Broken-Wand it is 54 * Income, since he generates income every 80 minutes.

For high gold characters, it should be 108 * Income, because they generate income every 40 minutes.

Everything else that goes over that amount gets "stolen" by "your goblin and troll tenants".


Upkeep

Properties don't have upkeep (I think School of Wizardry doesn't have any kind of upkeep anymore). But you can only buy a maximum of 10 units of each property.


Purchasing Property

You don't have to, but you should save to buy a new property (all 10 of them) for each year you complete (mastering all three levels). For example, by the time you finish your first year, you should already have 10 candy shops generating income for your. It really helps with the gold it generates.By the time you finish the second year, hopefully you'll have all 10 joke shops you're allowed to purchase and so on and so forth.







Properties are unlocked as you level up. The higher the level you are, the more expensive the property is and higher the payout will be.



Reach Level 8 to unlock:


Reach Level 16 to unlock:


Reach level 25 to unlock:



Reach level 35 to unlock:


Reach level 46 to unlock:


Reach level 58 to unlock:


Reach level 71 to unlock:


Reach Level 85 to unlock:


If you buy properties in bulk:


Property
Cost
Income
# of rents to recover investment
Candy Shop
$200,000
$4,250
47.06
Joke Shop
$350,000
$4,750
73.68
Bookstore
$700,000
$7,250
96.55
Robe Shop
$1,500,000
$12,250
122.45
Magical Pub
$3,250,000
$22,000
147.73
Owl Shop
$7,000,000
$41,500
168.67
Wand Shop
$15,000,000
$81,500
184.05
Quidditch Stadium
$35,000,000
$165,000
212.12
Castle
$85,000,000
$350,000
242.86


Depending on the character you have this is how long it takes for you to recoup your initial investment. Remember, the three original characters Raven-Haired and Bookworm generate income every 60 minutes and Broken-Wand generates income every 80 minutes. Some of the premium characters can generate income every 40 minutes.


Property
Days 40 in minutes
Days 60 in minutes
Days in 80 minutes
Candy Shop
1.31
1.96
2.61
Joke Shop
2.05
3.07
4.09
Bookstore
2.68
4.02
5.36
Robe Shop
3.40
5.10
6.80
Magical Pub
4.10
6.16
8.21
Owl Shop
4.69
7.03
9.37
Wand Shop
5.11
7.67
10.22
Quidditch Stadium
5.89
8.84
11.78
Castle
6.75
10.12
13.49


How to Purchase Properties

I used to tell people to buy their properties in bulk instead of buying one by one because they increase 5% each time you purchase one. But there's been some discussion threads saying it's actually better to buy one by one. Please read the following Q and A from this blog.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that it's better to buy properties as soon as you can, rather than saving up to buy all ten. In the time it takes you to save up, the properties you could have bought would have generated enough income to cover the price increase for the rest of them, plus extra. Is that true?
November 11, 2009 6:21 PM

C. Green said...


This is nasty calculation. I can't calculate how fast someone takes to come up with the money. This depends on how much energy one has, which levels they are playing, how many times a day they play, if they get their income in 80, 60 or 40 minutes, if they are getting extra gold from dueling... And if one decides to buy 2 properties at once or 3 or 4 instead of buying one by one could change the outcome considerably.

As you can see, there are just to many variables. You should always do what you feel more comfortable with, this blog is not here to tell you exactly what to do.

But what I can tell you with certainty is that in the end, it actually depends on how fast you can come up with the money to buy your next property. The longer it takes you to come up with the money to buy the next property, the more money you'll make off the property you already possess and consequently, the more money you'll have to cover the price increases and more profit.

So if I were to do a 'guestimation', a casual player - playing once a day or when they remember to play should buy property as soon as they can.

If one is a hardcore player and levels up more than 6 times a day, and their short-term priority is to purchase more property, they might be better off purchasing in bulk.

Example: It took me roughly 6 days (144 hours) to save up to buy 10 castles. (my character is high on gold, though)

45 comments:

  1. The prices of the real estate needs to be updated. I remember spending $2,250,000 on 10 robe shops that were bought in bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input but I actually have a picture for a Robe shop (that I haven't posted), with 0 Robe Shops purchased, the price is 150,000, times 10 it would be 1,500,000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my bad, I guess I spent the amount that you stated for all 10, but the prices on each robe shop went up even after I bought all 10. How bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. However, that still needs to be updated a bit, because I'm at level 59 and I have not unlocked the quidditch stadiums and castles and it says that I won't be able to unlock any more properties until level 71.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't mean that at level 58 you would unlock the last three properties. What I meant is that at level 58 you unlock the Wand Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone know how muchyou recoup if you sell one candy shop back? I'm debating on selling the one back & buying all 10 together or buying the additional 9 at the higher rate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't sell it. The price you pay for each property or item will not decrease. Just buy 9 more. FYI, for anything you sell, you just get 50% of what you paid for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What if I didn't get back the 50% of the property I paid for when I sold it? I got $0 for selling it. Is this just a refresh/cache issue? The money seems gone. I had three candy shops. I sold one in hopes to get some money to make an extra purchase. Now I'm short that money and down on rent. :( Is this fixable?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems like it was a bug and you should contact the developer and explain the situation, so that he can fix it. If you don't know how to contact him just follow the instructions here:
    http://schoolofwizardry.blogspot.com/2009/11/contact-developer.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've already maxed out the amount of property that I can buy. Are you going to add any more in the future?? Also, I found something that kinda angers me as far as the Energy points go. Whenever I level up, the max points are reloaded each time. So say I have 350 out of 400 points at the time they points are reloaded. The ENTIRE 350 get thrown away when the points are reloaded!! This has caught me several times off guard...and it really seems like a waste. Is there a way to add the points onto what we've already accummulated? Kinda like roll-over minutes? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not the developer (there's a disclaimer on the second post of the blog) and I really doubt he'll ever read the comments on this blog. So you should contact him directly about your questions regarding more properties.

    As for the Energy situation - ALL games on Facebook are EXACTLY like this with regards to energy. If you don't log in to use your energy, at some point you'll waste them. So I don't think there will ever be a change to accommodate your suggestions with regards to energy points.

    I do suggest people to play this game with a timer. If you estimate how many energy points you need to level up - set a timer and come back to play when it's time. Otherwise yeah, you'll loose your energy points.

    I also gave out pointers about energy points on the "Tips and Tricks" post on this blog. If you have the chance, take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Has anyone ever had money stolen before 72 hours? I swear I had this just happen. I didn't lose that much at least, just about an hour worth of money.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Karli - Well, I don't think I ever had that problem. Are you sure you didn't remember the wrong time? An hour worth of money just means you were just an hour too late to collect your income - which happens to the best of us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quick question. I'm level 30 on Second year lessons (bronze and silver done) with 4 shops available. I have 10 candy, 10 joke, 8 bookshops, but no robeshops yet. Are you saying I should concentrate on buying all the rest of those before I buy the items needed for Third year lessons?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was wondering something, I spent 70k gold and supposedly bought the bookstore. I have yet to see it or the gold it produces. I don't want to use my gold on another one if it is only going to disappear again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have purched property twice now and it keeps disapearing. I have bought 10 candy shops and 10 joke shops. I only one 2 candy shops and 1 joke shop now and they kept my money. what do I do now?

    ReplyDelete
  17. The samething is happening to me as well. I have purchased mult joke shops and the money disappears from my account, the game states I own it, and then the next time I look for it, it's gone!!! The money is gone, the real estate is gone, everything!! What is going on and how can this be fixed??? Help!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am NOT going to buy 10 OWL SHOPS for a THIRD time. Something's wrong!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's not just the real estate that is disappearing now.... I've purchased items from the magic store (wands, brooms, etc) and those are all disappearing too!!!! This sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Over the several weeks I have begun playing this game, I have purchased a total of eight (8) Candy Shops; however, every day I log in and begin playing, I discover that the app is only showing that I own two (2) Candy Shops. I purchased three (3) additional shops at once and then about a week or so later, I purchased another three (3) Candy Shops. It is still showing that I only own two (2) Shops according to the game. I have tried to refresh the account, but this does nothing. What is happening to the Real Estate that I've purchased??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Same here! ALL of my properties are gone! I've refreshed repeatedly and still nothing. WTF? I have 3 candyshops, a jokeshop and a bookstore! I am so upset about this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Lesley - You can do whatever you want Lesley, the 10 shops per lesson tier completed is just a suggestion. You have the potential to purchase all 10 properties by the time you complete a lessons tier (all 3 mastery levels) but it doesn't mean you have to. Actually, right now, and this goes to all players, I wouldn't buy anything at all until the developer fixes once and for all the server problem that is rolling back our stats.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ rockjk, Racord, Willow9535, L, ChiTown Momma - There's been a problem with the servers and we're not out of the woods yet according to the post the developer left on the application wall. I would personally postpone any purchase at this moment be it properties or items until the situation is completely solved. I would rather just save up the money, but I don't know if the bank is being affected too. I can't tell 'cause I'm really not keeping track of it. I'm just dueling, repeating old lessons and banking the gold.

    The problem that caused the servers to roll back back your progress in the game cannot be fixed by "refreshing" your account. Also a lot of players have reported that refreshing their account made the situation even worse. So I would think twice.. nah make it thrice-- ten times before ever hitting that "refresh" link.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're talking about banking your gold, what do you mean with that? Can you actually put your money into the bank or what?

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ssandra - Yes, you can collect rent money and deposit it into the bank - just click on "Visit Bank" on the top right corner of the game page.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Timing is the biggest factor (in my opinion) on whether to buy the properties one at a time or in bulk. Purchased properties generate rent. Banked money costs 10% to put in the bank (and does not generate rent). I tend to play closer to once a day (because of that having to work for a living thing), so with the more expensive properties a day's rent will generally buy me my next individual property with the difference in rent more than covering the increased property cost, without having to put a dime in the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I heard somewhere that if you play your cards right, you can Malfoy Manor. I read it on the facebook forums. Is there any validity to this or was that guy just pulling my ear?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well I was wondering the same thing.....Are there going to be other prorperties to purchase or are we pretty much capped at castles?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I own 10 of every shop and it still shows that my total rent earned is $50,500! This needs to be fixed.

    Does anyone know what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I did a spreadsheet to plug some various values in.

    Here were my figures:
    My "tick" of income is 80 minutes, due to my class.
    My energy per tick is about 150, as I level up about every 2 ticks.
    My cash per energy from lessons is roughly 500.
    This makes my lesson income per tick roughly 75k. I also get about 30k in property income per tick.

    Total income per tick: 105k
    Ticks to get 3.25mil for 10 magical pubs (my next building) 30.95
    I did a workflow that simulated income per tick, buying a new prop each time, updating the income and the price per prop, and the 10th property doesn't come in until the 39th tick. So it's 8 ticks faster to buy them all at once. This does make sense that it would be about 25% as long, considering the sum of them all would be 12.58 times the total cost.

    Now, this uses estimates, and doesn't take into account sleep, work, and other factors. But it's at least a start.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I do love to play this game well at least I used to. I seem to not play it so much since there is nothing to purchase. I have purchased all property and now have nothing to spend my money on. Seems like there should be more. I will probably stop playing with nothing more to purchase. Will you make something else to purchase so those that have played continuously can continue? thank you

    ReplyDelete
  32. Limited Edition Golden Horse where can you get them??

    ReplyDelete
  33. my hourly rent is not reflecting the amount I should be getting. I should be pulling in $442,925 every hour, but I am only making $165,225. Does anyone else have this problem, and how do I get it fixed?

    Thanks...
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  34. I bought an additional joke shop that should have brought my count to 2. When the screen refreshed, the money was gone from my account but I did not get my property. What did I do wrong and how do I get my property or money back?
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  35. I bought a joke shop... one. The money left my bank but the property count did not go up by one. What happened?

    ReplyDelete
  36. okay,so why is my rent less then half of what it should be?

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm not sure if this is elsewhere on the site, but what should you do once you're on "Closure", you've bought all the properties, and there's nothing left you need to buy? Do you buy as many items to help you in duels as you can? I have about 400,000,000 and nothing to spend it on :(

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm a bit of an Excel geek and I just did a spreadsheet to compare bulk purchase to one-at-a-time purchases for the Candy Shop.

    Bottom line - buy as soon as you can IF you are generating less than $7826/hr, every hour (that's just under $188,000 per day)

    Note:
    1) This money must come only from your activities (like lessons, dueling, gifts from the Headmaster) NOT from rent.
    2) This money must NOT be spent in the store. It is money that you can SAVE EVERY HOUR to buy Candy Shops ONLY. (Thus if you use the bank, it's the amount that ends up in the bank, not the amount you made)

    The facts I used to set-up this calculation are:
    1) Purchasing in bulk costs $200,000 for all 10 Candy Shops.
    2) Purchasing one at a time is $20,000 for the first, and an additional $1000 for each subsequent shop (meaning that shop #10 costs $29,000)
    3) A Candy Shop generates $425/hr.
    4) You get rent every hour.
    5) Your other income is a steady amount per hour. (This is the HUGE assumption in the calculation. It is a necessary simplification of the problem.)
    6) When purchasing one store at a time, you purchase AS SOON AS you have the cash for it. (In the extreme example, that means every 2-3 hours)

    If you are interested, I can make my calculations available. Just email me. I warn you though, the spreadsheet, though small, is a little difficult to follow. Even with the simplifications I made to the calculations, it's a bit of a convoluted problem.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, and with the info provided in the original blog, here is a list of the minimum hourly incomes you need to make bulk purchases (10 at a time) worthwhile for each shops:

    Candy Shop: $7,826
    Joke Shop: $8514
    Bookstore: $14,000
    Robe Shop: $228,814
    Magical Pub: $417,860
    Owl Shop: $787,500
    Wand Shop: $1,569,767
    Quidditch Station: $3,214,285
    Castle: $6,769,912

    Based on that, I think as a general rule, buy as soon as you can, don't bother postponing for a bulk purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  41. @ C.Green - you say it took about six days for you to get enough money for 10 castles in bulk? You raised $850 million in 6 days? You must be making about $6 million per hour!

    When I plug that value into my spreadsheet, I come up with 6.5 days to make enough money to buy in bulk.

    I also see that it would have taken you 6.4 days to buy one at a time. You'd have your 10 castles quite bit quicker, even with the 5% cost hikes.

    That might not seem like a lot faster....but it does add up to an extra $34,833,333 in your pocket if you had bought one at a time.

    (BTW: I'd done the calc two ways - once ignoring bank fees and once assuming money is always banked. Comes out almost identical both times. My table in my earlier comment ignores bank fees.)

    ReplyDelete
  42. hi everyone....
    i wud lik to start d game all over again.... can anyone plz tell me how can i actually quit d game to start it all over again ..????

    ReplyDelete
  43. would you say having a trillion dollars in the bank is enough?

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just logged into my account and immediately went to collect my rent after being logged off for about 3-5 hours. I hit the collect rent button to collect an amount somewhere in the range of $339,000 (not an exact figure). However, the rent did not credit to my account. This made a huge difference in my total account amount (instead of 1,933,000 (not exact) it should've been over 2 million). Can anyone tell me how I may be able to recover my rent money? I would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Again, I had the same problem as I logged into play this morning. I went to collect about 225,000 in rent and after I hit the collect button the gold was not credited to my account. Is anyone else having this problem and who do I go to to get it resolved. If this continues I will not be playing the game much longer. Please help!!!

    ReplyDelete