Friday, December 21, 2012

Duels

Ah, what can I say? The duels are a rather heated debate in this game because of the unlimited amount of times you can attack an opponent (well, the only limit is your stamina and health), but the most controversial part of it is that you can be attacked unlimited times as well. I will try do describe all the aspects I know about the duels, but in the end, only you, and you alone will decide what you want to do.

When you're attacked, the only thing you can lose is gold, that's why I said that the "Visit Bank" link should be your best friend. You don't loose any health when someone else attacks you (hence why you can be attacked unlimited times). The only other thing affected is your Duel Record (Win - Losses) and honestly, they are just numbers and don't affect the game at all.

So if you take good care of your gold (pay those 10%, it's not even real gold), you shouldn't care if someone hits 300 times in 5 minutes or not, because it does not affect you at all.

So why do people attack me 500 times in 5 minutes for? You must put this in your head: IT'S NOT PERSONAL! It really isn't, dueling is just another way to gain experience in order to level up. Usually when I run out of energy, the next thing I do is waste all my stamina to get as much experience as I can.

It's the way the game is. For example: my main objective in this game is to complete all the lessons. To complete all the lessons, I need energy. When I use all my energy, what's the only way I can get more energy and fast? (without spending real money) - By leveling up! So that's why there's a sense or urgency to reach the next level, because when I get there, I'll have another 5 skill points and all my stats are filled up.

Sometimes it's not always easy for you to find someone you can win in a duel, so people tend to go back and pick on the same character over and over again. Remember, it's not personal. Another thing is that the duel page doesn't refresh very often (I think it changes when you move up), so sometimes you're stuck with the same people for days. At one point I was stuck with the same players for about 7 days! It was a bloodbath. But out of 15 people he was the only one I could win in a duel. It wasn't my proudest moment. Even thought I didn't take a dime from my opponent.

Humans are creature of habit, they like easy, and they don't like changes. Therefore, some players tend to attack the same character over and over again, because this way he/she doesn't have to look for a new person to attack, don't have to worry if they'll loose the battle, and to tell the truth, that "Rematch" button is just way too convenient.

Another reason people might hit you repeatedly is the amount of experience points they can get. If they duel someone their own level, they'll usually get 2-3 experience points. If they duel someone below them, they'll only get 1 experience point. But when they are 25, 30 levels behind the opponent, defeating him/her will give them 4 or 5 experience points each time they win.

Think of the return per point used - you use 1 stamina and could get up to 5 experience in return. Whereas energy and lessons, the maximum one can have is a 1.59 return on the last lesson, on the last level. No wonder players are dueling each other left and right.

Just remember, it's not personal. And always, constant vigilance!

22 comments:

  1. What is a duel- a duel of what? The comment as browser bar has a bunch profile names that I don't understand-I'm not google or any of the others

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure I understand your question but...
    Duels refers to the Dueling part of the School of Wizardry game on Facebook. There are a lot of questions about it, so I'm just trying to explain as best as I can, why someone is being attacked repeatedly by a person in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you get to a level where no one leaves gold outside of the bank, what's the point of dueling? At the lower levels you can make good money if you're smart (since other people aren't). But if there's no money, it gets boring pretty quickly, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always dueled for experience points rather than gold. So people not leaving money out to be robbed is not an issue for me. I did hit some people recently to calculate how much gold they loose - which was a number around 1% to 4%.

    Sometimes you can luck out and attack opponents right in the middle of doing lessons. Personally I go from 0 gold to 2.5 million in less than a minute then I bank it right away. I've been attacked several times while doing lessons. It's part of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always put my money in the bank right away, but always seem to accumulate cash on hand (a few thousands, nothing earth-shattering) overnight, which I can only assume is from people dueling me and losing money to me, which seems kind of odd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its only letting me duel like level ones and they dont seem to be real bc they never change, how do I fight real people?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How does health work in terms of duels? Why do you lose more health in some duels, and does having lower health at all lower your chances to win a duel? Or only if they knock out ALL your health?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone dueled me about 10 times and received a huge amount of money and I didn't keep money out of the bank. Everything has always deposited and I always kept a zero balance outside. How did this happen? Does dueling take away money from your real estate?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and by the way...I wasn't playing at the time where I was doing lessons and could be robbed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why won't it allow me to do any duels?

    ReplyDelete
  11. now i just lost 60 of my hall passes. what's up with this game? you get me excited to play so i play and now it's like i have to start over with my hall passes again. It's hard to get them. Is ythis going to happen all the time? this is the second time i lost my hall passes Why?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Pat, I am not able to duel -- I just get a cute little message about what duels are, but then no link up to actual people to duel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am having trouble dueling. the main duel screen comes up but there is no list to chose a duel from?

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ pcdk4515 - That is a bug that happens from time to time. Go back after a while, and you should get your duel list with players same level as you.

    @ secretmeanon - Sometimes you loose more health when your TAP/TDP is not overwhelmingly higher than your opponent. But as long as you have 1 health and 1 stamina you can duel anyone.

    @ Stephen - Dueling shouldn't affect the money in the bank and uncollected rent. What could have happened is that someone with gold dueled you and lost the duel to you. That gold becomes your but is out of the bank since you don't know you've got gold and you didn't bank it, someone must have come along and saw that you had some gold laying around and attacked you. It's a pretty common scenario.

    @ pat, Suzi, tcvm - There was a bug earlier, hopefully your duel page is working normally again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is there any way to duel people besides those on your list?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Will the duel page feature people your level? Because I'm in level 7 and all of them are level 1!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Dina - Yup. Just scan the DB Forums, sooner or later you'll find a post with bunch of links. Another thing players are doing nowadays is going to the leaderboard and attacking whomever gets on it.

    @ blissonheaven - yes, they are supposed to have people on or around your level. When you see people in a much lower level than you, it's just a bug - come back later and try again and you'll see everything is back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whenever I duel my stuff goes away but just a few of my stuff is there (like whenever you duel it says You attacked with: or You defended with: but only a few things came up) what should I do? thx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still haven't figure out what the "ASK FOR BACKUP" (next to button REMATCH) stands for...
    Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  20. help help pls add me!!pls thx thx

    ReplyDelete
  21. add me!!!add me pls pls thx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm at level 13 but can't find anyone above level 1 to duel. It makes me feel like a really awkward bully. I've dueled a bunch anyway, though. How do I find people at or around my level? It's my first day playing, if that affects anything.

    ReplyDelete