Friday, December 21, 2012

Hall Passes

Like most online games on Facebook, SoW features a special kind of point system that can be purchased using Paypal and other online payment methods.

In this game these points are called Hall Passes and they can pretty much buy anything in this game. (see picture)





In order to play SoW, or any decent Facebook game for that matter, you don't ever have to spend cold hard cash to experience all the fun of the game. Some people don't mind, but personally, I never spent a dime on any Facebook game. I do however sign up to free trials and answer weird surveys from time to time, but they don't cost me anything other than 5~15 minutes of my time. (sometimes you don't get credited thought, but now if you have a confirmation email you can submit a claim)

Having said that, you can always get hall passes for free just by playing the game. There are several ways to do so:

Actually inviting a friend to play the game and your friend accepting your invitation will award you 1 hall pass.
(click on Order and select the friends to be invited)



Sending gifts to your friends. Once they accept your gifts, you'll have to click on a Facebook notification, and you should be awarded 1 hall pass. (click on the Gifts, and you can send up to 20 gifts per day, that should have been 20 hall passes. But Facebook spam control doesn't allow that to happen, so you'll probably get about half of that, 10, if you're lucky.)


Every time you level up you are get 5 skill points and 1 hall pass.




Mastering a lesson gets you 1 hall pass.



Master all lessons in a year and you'll receive 2 hall passes. Then Master Level 2 and Level 3, and you'll get more hall passes each time.




If someone attacks you and win the duel, sometimes, you'll also get a hall pass.



 Save up your hall passes and use it for things that you couldn't get otherwise like change character or on skill points (and use those skill point to get more energy).

If you plan on not buying hall passes you should never use you hall passes for:

  • Energy refill
  • Stamina refill
  • Health refills
  • Magic (at the Magic Shop)
  • More Gold
  • More Members (unless you really, really have a problem adding strangers to your Facebook friend list)
  • Pick a new name (unless you already used 2500 to 8000 hall passes to pick a better character, you can always remove the application and reinstall it to change your name and/or character - raven-haired, broken wand and bookworm)

In a nutshell, all I'm trying to say is that you don't have to spend money to play this game. But if you want to, more power to you. Buying points also helps the developer, and I guess that's a nice way to thank him. But you can also thank him by signing up for those crazy free stuff at the bottom of the headmaster page, since I assume he also gets a cut from those offers.

Best way to spend your hall passes? Save up for a character that best suits your playing style. If you are satisfied with your character, use your passes to purchase more skill points -> More energy or Stamina/Health if you're a dueler.

(One day I will elaborate more on why using the hall passes to get more skill points is the best way to spend them)

26 comments:

  1. I have 36 hall passes, and it hasn't increased in probably 5 days now...I even completed a survey that was suppose to render me 642 passes...sent back the pin as instructed - and still no more passes? what's up with that?
    Melmar

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should contact support for assistance. If you click on that green box "Missing hall passes?" and submit evidence that you completed the offer. If you don't hear from them, maybe you should try the developer instead.

    I too have completed offers that I did not receive hall passes. So I only do it when I really want an item badly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i clicked on a link to play Godfather and reach level 15 for 100 passes. I reached level 15 and my passes were awarded. I logged on today and they were gone. the "missing hall passes" link does not even list that for me to contact support. What do i do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contact the developer directly, since this offer was offered by him, not that third party company responsible for offers on The Headmaster tab. Do you know how to contact the developer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you remove the application so I can create a new character? My facebook must have bugged while picking a character because I picked the female and I have a male toon. Any help in this would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read the comment kindly left by graceunderautism here:

    http://schoolofwizardry.blogspot.com/2009/10/getting-started_15.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  7. What exactly does the reset account option do? Does it send you back to square one (i.e., level one, base stats, no properties, no items, etc.)? Reset your stats?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. The only things that are not reset are your order members and hall passes. Everything else goes back to square one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How many skill points does it take to increase energy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of the 50+ gifts I sent out yesterday I know that at least 20 of them were accepted yet I only received notification and hall passes for 3. What is necessary to get all (at least more) of the hall passes that I should receive for gifts accepted?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nothing the developer or you have control over. It's Facebook that allows or doesn't allow those notifications to be sent. Sorry about that. I too, send out all those gifts and I get back on average between 3 to 6 notifications per day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On the home page of school of wizardy, it says that if you get to level 20 in the godfather, you get 200 free hall passes. i just got to level 20 in the godfather and i haven't recieved the hallpasses yet. could you tell me whats wrong? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Try and contact the developer about it. A lot of people, me included are having the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i reached level 15 in godfather i didnt get my hall passes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Same here about Godfather lvl 20.
    How do you contact the developer?

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ aneesha - I think you need to reach level 20 now.

    @ ariselvenwarrior - To contact the developer - http://schoolofwizardry.blogspot.com/2009/11/contact-developer.html
    I didn't get 200 hall passes either. I suspect that if you got hall passes for reaching level 15 previously, you don't qualify for hall passes for level 20. I'm not sure, no one confirmed that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. On the home page there is a link to play slots, which has opportunities to win hall passes. When I click on the slots link, it takes me to a page where you can choose how much you want to spent per "roll". Problem: there are no slot machines to click on to play the game. Does anyone know how to fix this? I also do not know whom to contact about this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Ann - I'm pretty sure the slots are deactivated for now. Their introduction kinda coincided with the major rollbacks... I don't know if they are connected... Also, you can contact the developer regarding the technical issues in the game - There's a how to "Contact the Developer" post somewhere in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The More Members worked well for me to bring me up to a level where I could duel effectively (over 88% and improving). Most of my hall passes came from getting to level 20 in similarly structured games - Godfather, World War, & (even) Pet Wars. Participation in thosse games also helped me practice my strategy for SoW.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I accdepted the Netflik offer through School of Wizardry on Dec. 3. I've made several contacts, both through the Headmaster/Missing Hall Passes and the Contact the Developer options - giving them the E-mail response I got from Netflik. I haven't heard a word back from anyone. I've even received and sent back my first movie from Netflik (which happened to be HP & the Order of the Phoenix... LOL!!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wouldn't normally buy something like this (Omaha Steaks), but I did it to get more hall passes and never got any. I submitted my confirmation number/e-mail blurb under the Missing Hall Passes LINK and it's still "processing my feedback". Is there somebody out there actually "checking"? I missed out on buying that last 'weekly limited edition item'

    ReplyDelete
  22. I suddenly lost my hall passes when I accepted a "gift" (7 hall passes) from headmaster...
    I only have these 7 hall passes... :((

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't you buy hall passes for the money that you've earned from taking lessons? Because I really don't know what I should do with my money, I already bought every item I need for the lessons... Should I buy more items to win more duels, or is there something else I can do with the money?

    ReplyDelete
  24. My hall passes haven't increased in weeks..I've earned many but seen none. How do I fix this?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Unable to see the headmaster page. It loads the background but that's it.

    ReplyDelete